Monday, January 20, 2014

RIP John Still

   I’ve read some really sweet things written in remembrance of John Still, and I wanted to share my favorite things about him and what he gave to me. I worked with John on several projects, but most extensively on Live Animals. I was always blown away by his performances, but when he impressed me the most was when we did a scene where I had to spit in his face. We were sitting there discussing how to go about it. “Well, maybe I can just pretend to spit”---“Fuck that”, says John. “you need to really spit in my face like you mean it”. I don’t know how many takes I really spit in his face, but everyone knows how gross that shit it. Spit smells all germy. And he took it like the goddamn champ that he was because he was in it. He was committed. He loved what he did and I admired him for that.
  

  I had him come out and shoot a scene for “The Dead Shall Walk”, the ill fated feature my friends and I tried to make, and in the scene John had to get tackled by two zombies. He showed up in his convertible, looking cool as shit smoking a joint and proceeded to let some dumb ass kids who had no idea what they were doing film him getting tackled to the ground.


When we wrapped on Live Animals, John gave me the best compliment I’ve gotten as an actor to date. He told me “You gave me exactly what I needed for me to do my job”.



The last time I spoke to John on the phone, I could hear how bad he was. I tried to be optimistic. “Hey John, maybe we can get together soon”. “I don’t leave the house anymore”, he said. I told him that I’d see him soon, but the elephant in the room was there. We both knew it was the last time we’d ever speak. I just told him “I wanted you to know that I appreciate you and you’ve made a huge difference in my life”. That’s all you can say. He always made me feel appreciated. I hope that I make him proud.











<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BWmRaixbmqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>












No comments:

Post a Comment